Huge support was found for the Liberal Democrats’ positions on Brexit locally in Layla Moran and Conor McKenzie’s Brexit Survey, with notable results including:
Notable results included:
- 88% voted to Remain the European Union.
- Just 4% would vote differently if held again.
- 99% of people agree that EU nationals already living in the UK should be able to stay.
- 72% of people have a favourable opinion of the Liberal Democrats’ position on Brexit.
- 62% are unsure of Labour’s Brexit position, while 30% have a negative opinion.
- A huge 92% of people have a negative view of the Conservatives’ Brexit position.
Responding to the results of the survey, local resident and Liberal Democrat campaigner Conor McKenzie said:
“Theresa May and the Conservative Party have demonstrated that they don’t have a clue about what they’re doing. There is little sign of a deal being struck, let along ‘a good deal’.
“The Liberal Democrats were first by a long way in calling for a people’s vote on the final Brexit deal. We’re now close to tipping point in getting one, with Labour and Conservative rebels joining forces with Liberal Democrat MPs, as well as the SNP and Plaid Cymru.
“There is now just one thing stood in the way now and that’s Jeremy Corbyn. He claims “We can’t stop Brexit”, which is plainly false. We just need him to stop whipping Labour MPs into backing Theresa May’s Brexit.
“Our local MP, Layla Moran, have been a leading voice in the People’s Vote campaign and a fierce advocate in the House of Commons.
“There is no deal that is better than the current deal, as a member of the European Union with a seat at the table. The Liberal Democrats will continue to fight against Brexit and for a people’s vote on the final Brexit deal, with an option to Remain in the European Union.”